Insert and delete rows in a protected worksheet in Excel
- Select cells that can be modified by the user. To select multiple non-adjacent cells, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the cells.
- [On the Home tab, in the Cells group, click Formatting.
- [Under Protection, click Locked. [The Locked option will be cleared.
How do you add a row to a protected sheet in Excel?
After locking cells when protecting a sheet, users can insert rows into the protected sheet by checking the Insert Rows option.
How do you expand or add rows of table in protected Excel sheet?
- [Click File, then Options, and select Proofreading in the list on the left.
- [Click the AutoCorrect Options button.
- [On the Input AutoFormat tab, check the box labeled “Include new rows and columns in table.
Why wont Excel allow me to add a row?
You may have accidentally entered something in the last row of the worksheet, so you cannot insert a new cell because “a non-empty cell is pushed out from the end of the worksheet.” Select the entire row (click on the row number to the left). Press and hold both the Shift and Control keys.
How do you expand a row in a protected worksheet?
How to expand a group in a protected worksheet in Excel 2007
- Select the grouped cells in the protected worksheet.
- [Select the Home tab, then click Format in the Cells group.
- Select “Format Cells,” then click the “Protect” tab.
- Click the “Lock” checkbox to uncheck it, then click OK.
How do you unlock insert in Excel?
Press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + A to select all cells on the sheet. Right-click and select Format Cells. [Go to the Protection tab, uncheck the Lock option, and click OK.
How do I unprotect an Excel workbook without the password?
Do one of the following
- Right-click on the sheet tab and select “Unprotect sheet…” from the context menu.
- [On the Review tab, in the Modify group, click Remove Sheet Protection.
- [On the Home tab, in the Cells group, click Format, and from the drop-down menu select Unprotect Sheet.
How do I enable editing ranges in Excel?
Launch Excel and open a blank worksheet. [On the “Tools” menu, point to “Protect” and click “Allow Users to Edit Range. If you are running Excel 2007, on the Confirm menu, in the Change group, click Allow Users to Edit Range. [In the Allow Users to Edit Range dialog box, click New.
How do I automatically resize a table in Excel?
Use AutoFit to automatically resize columns or tables
- Select a table.
- [On the Layout tab, in the Cell Sizes group, click AutoFit.
- Do one of the following To automatically adjust column widths, click Auto Adjust Contents. To automatically adjust the table width, click “Auto Adjust Window”.
What to do when Excel won’t let you insert columns?
What to do if Excel fails to insert columns
- Clear all columns outside the data set.
- Unmerge cells in fully merged rows.
- Remove the pane and insert the column into Excel.
- Remove conditional formatting from the entire datasheet.
- Insert columns with sheet protection turned off.
- Copy data to a new worksheet.
How do you group and ungroup rows in a protected worksheet?
To enable grouping and outlining on a protected worksheet, you must first set up data grouping and outlining. Highlight the data, go to Data, Groups, Outline Options, and select the drop-down to the right of Groups. Click AutoOutline (pre-2007, Data → Groups & Outlines) to view the data.
Where is the protection tab in Excel?
To enable this protection, go to the Review tab on the Excel ribbon and click Book Protection. [Find the Review tab, click Protect Workbook, and set a password to protect the structure of your Excel workbook.
What does the Protect Workbook function do?
You can password protect the structure of your Excel book so that other users cannot view hidden worksheets, add, move, delete, or hide worksheets, or rename worksheets. Note: The screenshots in this article were taken with Excel 2016.
How do I make a cell editable in Excel?
Click File > Options >Advanced. Click the Excel option, then click Advanced Categories. In the Edit option, do one of the following Select Edit directly directly in the cell to activate the edit mode. Check the checkbox.
Can multiple users edit a password protected Excel file?
Yes, the function is already working. The worksheet is protected and can be shared even if you have permission to edit it. Shared users must password protect the worksheet in order to edit it.
How does Excel protect a worksheet from being edited?
To set up, open the Excel file and go to the File menu. You will see the “Information” category by default. [Click on the “Protect Workbook” button and then select “Encrypt with Password” from the drop-down menu. In the document window that opens, enter the password and click OK.
What command do you use to add rows to a table?
To add a new line, type the i Line command in the CMD of the displayed line and press Enter to insert a new data entry line after the selected line.
How do I unlock a greyed out cell in Excel?
Protected Workbooks [Click on the Home menu, then on the Cells tab, select Format. Unlock the worksheet by selecting “Unprotect Sheet” from the “Protect” section of the drop-down menu. If the worksheet is password protected, Excel will not unlock the menu until you enter the password.
3. Unlock the grayed out menu by selecting “Unprotect” from the Unprotected workbook.
- An unprotected workbook dialog will appear and you will be prompted to enter the password.
- To unlock the document, enter the password in the Password field.
- Then press the “OK” button.
How do I unlock group mode in Excel?
If not all worksheets are selected for the group, as shown below, click on the Worksheets Not in Group tab to exit group edit mode. Another way to exit Excel group edit mode is to right-click a worksheet tab that is in a group and select “Ungroup Sheets.”
How do you unlock a grouped cell in Excel?
You can also press Ctrl+Shift+F or Ctrl+1. In the Format Cells pop-up, on the Protection tab, uncheck the Lock box and click OK. This will unlock all cells on the worksheet when you protect the worksheet.
How do I run VBA code in Excel?
How to run VBA macros in Excel. To run the VBA code you added as described in the section above: press Alt+F8 to open the “Macro” dialog. Then select the desired macro from the “Macro Name” list and click the Run button.
Which are the different workbook protection types in Excel?
Excel offers three levels of password protection. Password protection for opening files, password protection for modifying data, or password protection for modifying the structure of files, such as adding, deleting, or hiding worksheets.
Can you protect multiple sheets at once in Excel?
The real problem is that Excel cannot protect more than one sheet at a time. If you have many sheets in Excel and want to protect them all, this can be very time consuming. The solution is to rely on macros.
Why can’t I edit my Excel spreadsheet?
If a worksheet or presentation is locked for editing and cannot be edited in a Windows desktop application, the file may have already been edited by someone else or the file may be checked out.
How do I run a VBA code in a protected sheet?
Run a VBA macro on the protected worksheet. Unprotect & Protect, userinterfaceonly argument; worksheet. Protect method.
- Unprotect & Protect; worksheet.
- Runs a macro on a protected worksheet, code remains visible and editable, but hides the protection password.
How do you unlock data in Excel?
Lock or unlock cells.
- Select the cell to be unlocked.
- [Click the Format button on the Home tab.
- Select the format cell.
- [Click on the “Protect” tab.
- Clear the locked checkbox. You can also toggle locking on and off by clicking the Format button and selecting a locked cell.
- [Click OK.
Tip: Press Ctrl+F1 to show and hide commands in the Ribbon. Click Show Tabs to display Ribbon tabs without commands. [To access commands on the View tab, click Any Tab.
[You can open the Windows 10 Tools menu by right-clicking the Start button or pressing “Windows + X”. Or, if you are using a touch screen, hold down the Start button a little longer than normal, then lift your finger off of it again.
How do I turn off read only in Excel?
Re: turning off read only
- Close the Excel Wookbook.
- Right click on that particular workbook.
- [Select Properties.
- Check Read Only.
- [Click OK.
Why does Excel have two options for Passwords?
If you want to enable read-only or edit access for different users: perhaps you want the team manager to be able to edit the weekly status report, but team members must have read-only access. You can protect the Excel file by specifying two passwords: one to open, the other to change.
How do I make all Excel sheets editable?
[Click on the Review tab. Click “Share” the workbook in the Changes Group. [On the “Edit” tab, click to select multiple users’ permission changes at the same time. This will also allow the merge checkboxes in the workbook and click OK.
How do I protect a row in Excel?
[Go to the Protection tab, unlock Locked Options, and click OK. Now select only the cells or columns you wish to protect. Right-click and select the format cell again. [Go to the Protection tab, check the Locked option and click OK.
How do you add rows and columns in a worksheet?
Select any cell within the column, then go to Home > Insert > Delete the sheet row or sheet column.
What is the shortcut to insert a new row in Excel?
Keyboard shortcuts for inserting rows into Excel
- shift+Spacebar Select a row.
- alt+i+r Add a new row above.
What is the shortcut to insert a new row in Word?
Word will add a new row above the selection. (All new rows will be formatted the same as the first row of the selection.) Select the rows, press Alt+Shift, then press the up or down arrow keys as many times as needed to move the selected row(s) to where you want.
How can you add cells rows or columns in Excel?
Select the cell to which you want to add the row. For example, to add a row to row “3,” select cell A3 or any other cell in row 3. On the Home tab of the Ribbon menu, click Insert and choose Insert Sheet Row. Alternatively, right-click on the selected cell, select Insert, and select the entire row.
How do I enable insert option in right click?
MS Excel’s Insert Row option is disabled after right-clicking. Do the following.
- Move the mouse over the column label and left mouse click.
- Right mouse click.
- In the pop-up menu, select Insert, which will insert a blank row over the selection.
Why Cannot insert column in Excel?
➤ Go to View > Freeze the pane and select Freeze Thaw Pane. Remove the pane from the worksheet. You will now need to repeat all the steps of the first method to clear the unused cells. You can now insert a new column into the worksheet.
Why has my Excel spreadsheet turned GREY?
1. In Excel, go to File > Options (or just press ALT+F, T to open the Excel Options dialog box) > Select “Advanced.” 2. While viewing, check the box about “Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration”.
Why are some cells GREY in Excel?
In Excel, Gray Out refers to the process of making cells uneducatable. This is useful if you want to ensure that users do not accidentally change the value of a cell, or if you want to make sure that a specific value is entered into a cell before performing other calculations.
How do I enable editing in Excel?
Enable or disable edit mode Click File > Options >Advanced. Click the Excel option, then click Advanced Categories. In the Edit option, do one of the following Select Edit directly directly in the cell to activate the edit mode. Check the checkbox.